Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Take a Picture

Last Thursday, while I was waiting at a light on Wilshire in Westwood (near UCLA), I noticed a gentleman standing at a bus stop. There are people in this world that just want to stick out, aren't there? In this case, he was tall and lanky, probably around my age, possibly older, with curly, mouse-brown hair that brushed his collar. He was wearing -- all you kids from the 80s, perk up -- white parachute pants (at least they looked like parachute pants) with a blue long-sleeved t-shirt with the arms pushed up to his elbows. Think Mork from Ork without the rainbow suspenders. Aviator sunglasses. And the piece de resistance? A sun visor. Made out of green plastic with a white band. All it needed was a 9-volt battery with blinking lights and I would have squealed in delight. It was all so horribly cheesy and ridiculously retro.

Here is my problem when I see stuff like this: I just want to grab out the camera phone and take a picture. I really do. And I know that most people wouldn't think twice about doing so. In fact, this guy was probably hoping that people would photograph him. However, I always think, "Gosh, I would hate it someone took my pic and posted it on their blog only to make derogative comments or, even more cruel, mock me." My photo was taken about a month ago on Hollywood Boulevard, and I was terrified that this was exactly what was going to happen (though it was a guy, and he kept checking me out, so, I don't know. Although, when you think of the alternative of what he might have done with the picture, maybe posting it on his blog to say, "look at the ass on her" would be preferable). I know we live in a time of voyeurism and anonymous blogging, but I firmly believe that everyone deserves a little respect.

Still... I really wish you could have seen this guy. It was priceless.

No comments: