Monday, June 9, 2008

News From the Front

"Warner Bros. 'Sex and the City' opened shockingly well during the weekend, the big-screen adaptation of the former TV series grossing an estimated $55.7-million domestically -- about double what many expected -- and grabbing first place," said the Hollywood Reporter (6/2/08).

"Film's unexpected boffo performance mystified Hollywood and shattered the decades-old thinking that females -- particularly older ones -- can't fuel the sort of big opening often enjoyed my male-driven event pic or family movie" trilled Variety (6/2/08).

As promised, I went to see the flick on Saturday evening with a girlfriend. And while most reviews talk about the 80% female audience on opening night, my particular showing had a healthy dose of testerone of the hetro kind. Girlfriend -- or should I say Grrrlfriend since I'm definitely feeling the Girl Power -- and I both agreed that it was a good flick. Fun, emotional, sweet, and well-written. Definitely worth the price of admission. And, my highest compliment: I'd be willing to watch it again on DVD. I think what I appreciated most about the flim that I never saw indicated in the series was that it actively acknowledges that the lifestyle Carrie is portraying is a fairy tale. Right down to Carrie reading Lily Cinderella, a valentine depicting the Disney version of the same, and a terrific Handsome-Prince-puts-the-shoe-on-the-Beautiful-Princess's-foot moment that felt unforced and appropos. So, highly recommended for a girl's night out or for those not feeling the Love or for other Cinderella freaks out there. Ahem.

Now, of course, the trick is to not hammer this into the ground by making SATC: The Movie into a franchise (they're talking about it. For the love of all that is green, don't do it!), or by following it up with a bunch of derivitive drek (I don't think I could handle Designing Women: Design This! or The More Golden Girls), or saturate the market with a bunch of woman-unfriendly movies that star an actress that wouldn't know the difference between Naomi Campbell and Naomi Wolf.

Anyway. I liked it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I went to see that movie! It's funny that I have never seen one single television episode and yet could easily want to go back and view them after getting wrapped up in such a good movie as this one...