Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Blog Topics

For the past few weeks now, I've thought of different blog topics to write about but have never got around to them. Or, more honestly, started to write them only to lose steam and discard them. What have I thought about recently? Glad you asked.

1. De-friending people on Facebook. I did this very recently and it was awful. I felt like I was sneaking around and that the de-friended acquaintances -- because that's what they are, really -- would think me a bitch. And I kept people I really didn't want to keep, but knew that they would realize that I de-friended them because these are the random people who usually comment on my wall. I also kept some people because they're my "friends" in some of the FB games I play and I want to keep my farm neighbors and Mafia close. (What?) Fingers crossed that my brothers' ex-girlfriends don't realize they've been cut lose...

2. eHarmony. I've eluded to my "dating" in the blog, but I haven't really written about the experience or how I feel about it. Mostly because I'm ambivalent. I think I've learned more about myself through this entire process than about the guys I've been matched with. I haven't gotten a "date" yet, but that's mostly because I'm dragging my feet. And I kinda don't care about it. Still, I'm doing it and trying to remain hopeful.

3. My Thanksgiving trip in Denver, Colorado. I'm usually pretty habitual about writing about my travels. Where I went, what I saw, who I was with, and what I thought. In fact, there were a few blogs that I probably shouldn't have written back when I was posting on MySpace about a couple of weddings I was in. But this time, I don't feel like I have anything to say. Colorado was interesting in so much as I didn't realize people still lived like that. It really is a different world in the middle of this country. And while I wouldn't mind visiting my aunt again, I think I saw everything I needed to see in three days. Which, I think, says a lot right there.

4. Diet, exercise, and addiction. I've spent the majority of this year working out. In the last few months, I started working on my food issues. Which were legion. While some people in my family have turned to drugs and drink for their addictions, it seems I turned to food. Food was my best friend, my partner, my drug of choice to carry me through. It sounds silly, I know. But when you're tanking down a pint of Cherry Garcia on a Friday night in front of the TV because you're too scared to get outside and make friends because you don't think you're interesting enough, or attractive enough, and you hate your self for it, what else do you call it? Let me tell you something, I know drug addicts. And I know alcoholics. Intimately. It's the same symptom, it's just a different medication. And screw anyone who has something to say about fat people, because I will identify their drug of choice with five questions and it will be drug, drink, sex, or gambling. Whatever gets you through, my friend. But don't throw stones.

5. My female family. It has recently come to my attention through a conversation with my Aunt Bev -- and then another conversation with my Aunt Liz -- that I was brought up in a matriarchy. You see, the men in my family kinda suck. They kill themselves, drink, fight, and do drugs. Oh, and cheat on their wives and girlfriends. I can tell you horror stories about my childhood that would make you think that I was brought up in the ghetto involving knives and girlfriends showing up at the front door. But I digress. Kinda. Anyway. I was brought up in the bosom of my father's family. There's my grandmother, three boys, and five girls. And every single one of the girls is kick ass in her own way. As as women are wont to do, they circled the nest. I grew up with aunts who loved and nurtured me. I'm one of those people who was brought up by a tribe. A female tribe. The problem with this is that I don't trust men as far as I can punt them, and at the end of the day, when I feel like I need to connect and re-charge, I always go back to the women. Hm. Maybe this one is a blog post afterall.

No comments: