Thursday, August 21, 2008

An Olympic Size Hang Over

I need the Olympics to be over so I can go to bed at a decent hour. It used to be that I would just "catch" the Olympics. I only made a concentrated effort to watch gymnastics, and just the girls at that. But everything else was sorta meh before. So, I'm not quite sure what's going on this time. Am I older now so this kind of thing intrigues me? Kinda like how PBS used to bore me to stitches and now its one of my favorite channels (Masterpiece Theater, Colonial House, Antiques Roadshow!)? Or is it the roadside attraction of seeing Beijing and how a repressive communist society pulls out all the stops to impress the world, even if that does mean jailing their Opening Ceremony performers for months? Or is it just the American hype machine (Michael Phelps! May and Walsh! Nastia or Shawn!)? I don't know. But its all so incredibly exciting...and exhausting. Who knew that being an armchair cheerleader could knock a girl out? This is more addictive than a VH1 marathon of I Love the 80s!

No comments: