Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Shiny, New Hope

What did I say about my book getting rejected? Uh, yep. I also got a formal phone call from Disney telling me that I did not get the job, which I thought was nice of them since they kinda informed me the week before that I wasn't going to get it. And while last week I felt bereft, disappointed, and rejected, this week, I've got a little perspective and can actually feel -- what's that? ahh, yes -- gratitude.

The thing is, everyone who rejected me did it very gently and kindly, and in fact, offered up hope. According to Disney, the Senior Vice President liked me a great deal, but felt I didn't have enough experience, and in another year or two, who knows? In the meantime, they'd like to consider me for other positions, if that's OK? Yeah. Yeah, that's fine. I'll take that. And the agent who rejected the book stated that it took her awhile to make a decision as she really liked the concept and it worked for the most part, but the execution was a bit old fashioned. While I had left my heroine an avatar for the reader, today's picture book market requires a protagonist with a fully formed personality, warts and all. In fact, the agent sorta suggested that I use the kind of voice that I use in my adult humor books. Huh! Who would have thunk it? Neither one of the these rejectionists had to give me much past a "thanks, but no thanks" leaving me to wonder if I was a loser with bad breath and a neanderthal I.Q. (What can I say, I'm very hard on myself), but both actually left me feeling pretty good about myself. As someone who writes reject letters once a month, I know the difference between a brush off and a considered response, and I am grateful for the time and thought these individuals put into rejecting me. Who knew that was possible?

It's funny what a few days can do. Last week, the sky was falling and it was all rejection and dejection. This week, it's all rainbows and butterflies and self affirmation. Next week, I'll probably pick myself up and start the process all over again with shiny, new hope.

No comments: