Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Making a List

Just last night, I emailed a bunch of family members and parents of godchildren to gather the Christmas lists. I'm like Santa Claus only on a restrictive budget. In hindsight, I don't know how my single mother did it. Two kids, one paycheck? And yet Santa was very generous every year. I think lay-away had something to do with it. Anywhooo...

What I really love about getting the Christmas lists is to see who these kids are turning out to be. Sarah loves art projects and at seven is currently becoming a label shopper. Which Cracks. Me. Up. As so was her mother once upon a time. Sarah is into Justice. I had never heard of it before, and quite frankly, other than the sequins and the glitter, I kinda don't get it. But at least it's not adult-wear cut for kids, if you know what I mean. It's very conservative. Which I find interesting as her mother was a very conservative dresser, too, back when we were teens (still is; she has this adorable cardigan with sheep on it). I was also told about Sillybanz. Have you seen these? Honestly, what is it about kids that they suddenly all need the something at the same time? Reminds me of when I suddenly had to have a Cabbage Patch Kid when I really didn't care about them a month before Christmas. Sarah's sister Kathryn, however, is a Momma's Girl. Totally loves her baby dolls and Barbies. Which, hello!, BARBIES! I get Kathryn. I bought her a baby doll last year, however, and her mother says that the dolls are getting a bit out of control, so I'm not allowed. Kinda breaks my heart a little. But only a little as my sister has shared with me that her one-year old is showing up at Mommy & Me classes and ganking other little girls' dolls. YAY! I mean, not for rolling Mommy & Me classmates, but giving Auntie an opportunity to buy a Christmas doll! I'm waxing and waning between Itty Bitty at 15" complete with book and teddy bear and Corolle Calin at 12" made with low toxic plastics and machine-washable body. Decisions, decisions!

There are only three boys on my list this year: 6, 3, and almost 2. I do not find boys fun to buy for. It's all lights, noise, and hard plastics. I think I'm suffering some PTSD from Christmases past when my cousins used to wheel their lunking toys around and somehow I always got smacked in the head. ("Dump trucks don't fly, Jason!" Oh, sorry, flashback.) So, far it seems like it may be a Very Lego/Duplos Christmas for these fellas.

All in all, I think I'm just excited about Christmas in general as I didn't take a vacation this year (I bought a car instead. *Sigh* I'm still not over that injustice), so I'm really looking forward to getting away for a little while even if it is only going to Connecticut. But Connecticut certainly has it charms. Snow, ice skating, hot chocolate that actually warms up your insides on a cold, wintry day...not to mention some pretty adorable kids who are going to love me when I show up with Barbie shaped Sillybandz!

No comments: