Monday, November 17, 2008

Blog on the Brain

Over the past couple of weeks, I've been so busy that I haven't been able to get my head on straight. And while I keep wanting to blog about something, I can't concentrate on anything long enough to actually expand on any one thought or idea. So, here are some of the things I've heard, seen, or experienced, and have wanted to comment upon, but just can't seem to get my words or thoughts into order.


*Heard on NPR: NASA isn't just for space. It's also to figure out what's going on here on Earth. Recently, they decided to count up all the trees (seriously, they can do that -- crazy). It seems there are 61 trees for every human being on earth. Huzzah! However, we use a ton of trees for...well, just about everything. Think about all that pre-fab furniture, FedEx boxes, disposable chopsticks, and paper we use. Arbor Day is in April. Something to keep in mind if you like oxygen.



*I had a truly bizarre dream on Thursday night that included my friend Meg. We were in high school together taking a history class being taught by Anderson Cooper. (This might have something to do with the fact that Meg supported Obama, and I watched the election coverage on CNN. But who really cares, Anderson Cooper was in MY dream!) But then I didn't know what class I was supposed to go to next, and Meg took me to the office. I know Meg. Meg would do this in real life. She held the metaphorical hand of a perfect stranger on a subway platform after the poor girl had been assaulted. Meg totally would bring me to the office to help me get my class schedule.


*I don't like to exercise. But I don't like to meet my book deadlines even more. Instead of working on the rewrite this weekend, I went out for long walks. Right after the news told us not to due to poor air quality. It seems I would rather inhale ash particles and line my lungs with dangerous residue than meet my responsibilities.


*Thanksgiving isn't even here yet, and I'm getting a lot of Christmas catalogues. I understand that the economy sucks right now and Big Business is hoping the holiday season will do...something. But let's face it, it's going to be a Cookies-in-a-Jar kind of Christmas. Which A-OK by me. I won't buy you something if you don't buy me something, deal? Good.

*They announced this morning that they are going to put a cop onto the bailout package. What's that you say? What I mean is, the Fed was giving out billions of dollars to these companies on the honor system (without anyone getting fired or any kind of restructuring, because, yeah, it makes a lot of sense to give an addict more of his drug of choice). Anyway, come to find out these irresponsible CEOs are still being irresponsible with the tax payers cash (quel surprise!), so Congress has now appointed a finance czar -- or whatever they're going to call him -- to monitor how the money is being spent. Isn't that a lot like putting in security monitors after Ocean's 11 has taken the cash? Anyway, I guess the embarrassment of having the President-Elect call AIG on their spa trip (for $440,000) back during the debates didn't embarrass them enough not to fund an English hunting trip to the tune of $86,000. Not as much as the spa trip, but then again, no animals were harmed on Monarch Beach.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, but I'm not gonna not buy you something for Christmas. You don't have to buy me something, but I've already found so many "perfect gifts!" for you that I have to pick at least one. And yeah, I'll probably overspend...

Meg said...

I would indeed take you to the office.