Thursday, September 18, 2008

Nick and Nora(h)

Back over the summer, I saw something about a movie titled Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist starring Micheal Cera. I fairly groaned. Did we need another Superbad? Or even another Juno? (Do not get me started on Juno.) And it really irked me that some young turk screenwriter was trying to be cheeky by using the names Nick and Norah in a film aimed at pre-teens who have no idea who Nick and Nora are. But then a miracle happened. I went to the theater over the weekend to see The Women (no...just, no) and saw the full trailer. And suddenly, I felt young and sweet again, like that feeling that comes from sucking on a pixie stix but without the wet paper on my tongue. Is it me, or does this look like a John Hughes film? So, I skipped over to IMDb and checked out the credits because John Hughes has this habit of popping back up in the credits but under the name "Edmond Dantes." (And if you know your classic literature, you know who Edmond Dantes is.) But no! It's not! Or should I say, he's not affliated. I did see, however, that the screenplay is based on a YA novel that was published by Knopf and just like that, people were forgiven for using the names Nick and Norah. (Yes, I'm a literary snob.) Not that you care about any of this, but suffice it to say, yes, I will be braving the movie theater with the thousands of texting and twittering teens to see it. Especially since we're heading into Oscar season and that means a ton of depressing films about depressed adults like Kate and Leo in Revolutionary Road or Meryl Streep in Doubt. Ugh. A little pixie stix for the mind is a good thing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude I'm so pissed at the trailer people though. In the long version, they basically show the entire movie from beginning to end. I feel like I already know exactly what happens to all the characters. A trailer shouldn't do that. It should leave you wanting more, rather than feeling you know too much. I will likely see it too, however, for the exact same reason you said. It looks John Hughsey to me. No political commentary, just good, clean, teen comedy. (...And yes, there is such a thing.) I hope I'm not mistaken.

Meg said...

The guy who wrote the YA novel is one of Rachel's friends from Scholastic. Hurrah!