Monday, July 7, 2008

Family

I have a slight obsession with all things old. I've always wanted to have a house where I've lined the walls with silver framed photos of my ancestors. These pictures speak to my vivid imagination. I think about the person who took the picture, the moment the picture was taken, who has held the photo before me, what memories it might have sparked for the occupant. I look for myself and my sister and my family relations in their faces. There is my uncle's nose. There is my aunts eyes. This process happened to me again this morning when my mother forwarded some photos her cousin has in her possession. The photo included here is of my great-grandfather, his siblings, their spouses, and a few unidentifiables. I love the turn of the century garb on his sisters. Grandpa Ed is standing on the far left with his hand on his hip. My uncle Ritchie looked like him.



No comments: