Thursday, August 12, 2010

A Little Personality

One of my little nieces has been very sick recently and continues to be in the hospital. Complications from her surgery last year, it seems. She's doing fine today and doctors say she might be able to go home on Saturday. Through it all, I've been very calm. Unlike last year when I was a complete mess. But Cara is quite the little trooper. And believe me when I tell you, the kid seems to be a daredevil, too. When I last saw her back in May, she was so very confidant that she was bodily throwing herself off the couch head first...at eight months. It was enough to give me a heart attack. Strangely, because of her innate fearlessness, I have a feeling that the only thing that is ever going to slow this kid down are things that will be beyond her control. Other than that? Look out world.

About seven years ago, one of my very close friends gave birth. I visited her about three months into her new motherhood. The baby, Sarah, calmly watched me as I fed her a bottle. The steadiness of her gaze, the curve of her lip, gave me the feeling that she wasn't too impressed with me. While usually babies will look at you blankly or close their eyes contentedly or wait happily to see what you're going to do next, this kid was considering me, dare I say judging me. It was a bit disconcerting. From the moment I met her, I knew that Sarah was going to be Serious. (And boy is she ever.) Don't get me wrong, she's still a carefree, jubilant child. But she considers. She is a thinker. Always has been, always will be. But it was the first time that I ever noticed that babies come pre-programmed with a definite personality past the bland Happy Baby and Cranky Baby monikers kids are slapped with.

The twins seem very much like babies I've seen before (probably their father, my brother). While Cara goes head first into the world, Chloe seems to be a bit more hesitant. While she too went for the edge of the couch, she thought twice about swinging her body over the side. She voiced her need for help, and my brother put her down next to the already-on-the-ground Cara. Abby, for her part, is a watcher. An observer. Why bother getting involved when you can just entertain me from here? Thanks...

I'm excited to see these three grow up, even if it is from a distance. These days, I've been wondering how I can close the 3,000 mile gap, but nothing is presenting itself. In the meantime, I will try to get to the houses of the babies in my immediate vicinity (yeah, A., I'm looking at you and J.), and appreciate small toes and fingers and fine baby hair, and little emerging personalities.

No comments: