Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Connecticut in December

I just booked my flight back to Connecticut for Christmas. I got a very good deal, so I should feel pretty self satisfied and efficient. And yet...I don't.

First, let's start with the practical. I booked through Priceline and they are flying me out of LAX -- blerg -- on Alaska Airlines ("operated by American Airlines") and flying me back on Delta. And while I got to choose my seats, I'm vaguely worried that not only am I not going to get the seat I chose, but that somehow I'm going to get bumped. Since I had to book it for December 23rd -- I have not forgotten my boss's wrath over my taking time off pre-Christmas 2008 -- and book on the larger carriers -- and not my preferred JetBlue or VirginAmerica -- I'm almost certain that this is going to be the case and I'm going to find myself alone, eating cold soup on Christmas morning (don't ask me why it's cold, it just seems more miserable and ergo more fitting).

Second, while I'm pretty certain I'm still going to be living in L.A. come December, what if something occurs and I do not? It's going to cost me more money to rearrange these flights then if I just waited a little longer.

Third, and the "biggie" of the three, I'm a little sigh'y -- is sigh'y a word? -- over the fact that I have to use what little money I have to make the yearly trek back to Connecticut and not to (A) London, (B) Rome, (C) Thailand, (D) Seattle, (E) Denver, (F) Sydney, (G) Africa, (H) Paris. All places that I have been invited to by my myriad of friends in the last five months. (And no, I'm not kidding. My friends are really this fabulous.) New invitations are being offered on a bi-monthly basis. And every time one comes up, I sigh heavily; keeping my fingers crossed that maybe I'll win the lottery. You know, the one I don't play?

I know that once Christmas comes I'm going to be very happy and excited to go to Connecticut in December (new nieces!), but for right now, all I can think about is where I'm not going. London in November. Sydney in January. Rome in February. Paris in March...

2 comments:

A_Gallivant said...

Or you could do all of it! LOL! I like sighy as a word; it effectively connotes a feeling

KateN said...

I've got a good idea, why dont you travel away for Christmas and take me and baby with you? :) You live in California and make lots of money now, right?!?! ;) Love you lots and am glad I get to see you, whether or not its first choice.